Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thursday is Saturday and Friday is Sunday

Something that I wrote earlier:

A blanket of warmth and heat. Hospitality and kindness. A 48 hours work week. A new weekly structure. A gazillion roundabouts. A crowded office. Prayer calls five times a day. A two hour lunch break. Mosques on every street corner. Just some of the first impressions that I have of this first week in Oman. Right now I feel tired.
It is Friday and I came back from church an hour ago. There is a compound that holds both the catholic and protestant church here in Oman. I visited a contemporary service of the PCO, the Protostant Church of Oman. That is already one of the things that I did not expect; the ability to practice the Christian religion here so openly. Sultan Al Qaboos is quite open minded I suppose. Yesterday, Saturday... I mean Thursday... Badr, my Omani friend getting me set up here and exactly three days older than me, showed my around Muttrah and took me to the Souk (market ) there. Also he showed me the humble home of the Sultan in Muscat.
Concerning my work, in my first week here I plunged in my work right away and found myself learning many new things while also being wrapped in confusion and struggle. I am learning about HACCP (hygiene management) while feeling that I know way too little about it. Also I have no idea yet of how to make a proper beginning in all this new information coming at me. I’ll keep you updated. Furthermore, I think I haven’t seen one person at work sitting for more than 10 minutes at his or her desk without walking out talking to co-workers or running around with a file or document of some sort. It is interesting to work in this culture and my colleagues are trying to teach me some Arabic. It is hard... I learned that the people from India here (and trust me, there are many) learn to speak the language in about 2 months. I feel I am going to need more time.
I’ll keep you posted. Much love and peace to all of you.

1 comment:

  1. Hej Harmen, nice hearing from you! Your storys sound a lot like Joris Luyendijk writing about the arabic culture, do you know him? I'm a fan.
    Anyways, I'm hoping for some adventures pictures soon!
    Bless, An

    ReplyDelete