Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Islam

Friday evening I went to a seminar held at the amphitheater in Muscat. It was the second seminar of a two day lecture discussing Islam in relation to other religions, mainly Christianity.
The speaker was Yusuf Estes, an American (from Texas). He used to be affiliated to christianity and even involved in ministry. However, he converted to Islam. In Islam by the way they don't say 'convert' but 'revert'; but I consider it converting nevertheless. He was a scholar and it was evident that he had studied both Qu'ran and the Bible in depth.
At this seminar were about three hundred people. Of those three hundred there were approximately five non-muslim. My friend Charlie from church was there and some other Westerners (Westerners meaning: North Americans + Europeans). The scholar spoke about why he converted to Islam and what the story behind his conversion was. There was a Q&A session afterwards but I did not have a lot of questions to ask based on his speech.

At the end of the seminar there were a couple of people who wanted to convert to Islam. These were mainly Philippinos I think. It was an interesting experience to witness this. I don't know the meaning of it but the converts had to say something in Arabic. The crowd of people reacted with great happiness and many shouted "Allah akhbar" as expression of their happiness.
Comparing it to christianity it was similar to how baptism happens in some churches.

Anyway, after this all was over Charlie and I were invited to have a dinner with Yusuf Estes and some other people the next evening. It was a good opportunity to be asking some questions and we happily accepted the invitation. Since I am living in a Muslim country I might as well make the most of all the opportunities presented to learn more about the culture and the religion.
So the next evening I was expecting to have dinner with about 8-10 people and have laid back evening talking about religion.

How different it would be. The talking was there but my expectations were way off. What happened is that this was not a dinner for about 10 people. We arrived at this huge mansion. Inside must have been like a hundred people sitting on the floor. Women on one side of the room and men on the other. In the middle sat Yusuf Estes and next to him two chairs. One for Paul (an American Christian who was also invited) and one for me. Pauls wife and Charlie were seated with the women.
Being a little bit overwhelmed by all these people Yusuf started of by saying. Well Harmen (we had been introduced a couple of minutes before) what are your questions... and I thought this was going to be a relaxed evening. But we started discussing about the way that people are Justified (made righteous before God) by God. We talked about the difference between the Allah and God and god. And of course the everlasting point of discussion of Jesus being/not being the Son of God; which to Muslims is blasphemous. We talked for about an hour or so. But I don't really recall all the specifics we talked about. However, it give me a better understanding if Islam. And more over it helps me to read the Bible from a different perspective. I mean, the Bible really speaks of Jesus Christ as the Son of God. And it really boils down to what is true and what you believe. To me it has opened a whole new set of questions and attitude. I learned that I feel like being a very complacent christian often. I mean to say that I often think like I know it all. But really, I lack so much true understanding of the real meaning of so many things. So actually I am happy that I am having these discussions with Muslims around me. It will make my own faith stronger.
And I do think that there are many things that we can learn from Muslims (I am referring to the Omani that I meet here). Their hospitality is great. They have a great sense of respect. And have a very rich tradition.

Well, anyway, I hope to continue to learn more about this whole religion thing. One thing I have learned that it seems very easy and everything when it is not really a part of your life, e.g. when you live in Holland. But when you are in the middle of a different culture and religion it becomes a different situation. You cannot ignore the differences and discussions that require an answer.

Well, my break from work is over and I should head back to work. Sending you my love from a hot Oman.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Harmen! I definately found myself racking my brain through that first part of the evening. Yusuf really put us/you on the spot with the whole "justified" thing and Charlie couldn't get a word in edgewise. I was definately ill prepared. He's a likeable person though... sort of like the Santa Clause of Islam. I hope he answers my email.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete