Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jihad talk over Coffee

My Omani friend Saleh lives and studies in Salalah (South Oman) but was around for a couple of days in Muscat, so we went for coffee. At the Al Shattie (which means 'beach') Starbucks on the beach boulevard we sat down for coffee. Since they sell real Dutch Stroopwafels (Caramel Waffles) there I had to teach him how to eat them the best way: placing it on top of your steaming hot coffee for a minute, and when the waffle is soft and has absorbed the coffee flavour it tastes absolutely amazing. But anyway, we had an interesting conversation about the position of Jesus Christ in the Muslim religion and Saleh tried to explain to me what exactly the Jihad is. In addition to that I already knew that Muslims don't believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, I learned that Muslims believe that Jesus Christ is still alive and has not died and that he will come back to earth. According to Muslims he will eventually die though and that after that Judgement Day will come (although I don't know how long the time in between will be). I also asked about how God forgives, but I didn't really get a clear answer on that one. I guess I should have asked more about the role of 'sacrifice' in that regard. (So Saleh, if you read this... please fill me in...)
And then we talked about the Jihad. I thought that meant Holy War, but Saleh said that it didn't and now the "Real Source to all Knowledge" a.k.a. Wikipedia tells me it actually means 'Struggle'. The fact that I thought it meant Holy War probably says more about my own prejudices. And it just has a bad taste to it when I say it; 'Jihad'. It just has a bad connotation to it in my mind. It makes me think of suicide attacks and harming innocent people. Probably and apparently a pretty limited view. I wonder what it is based on...?
So Saleh and I talked about the Jihad in terms of the spread of Islam throughout the world and the different (not necessarily violent!) way of doing that. Jihad, another thing that I need to read more about in order to get a real and better understanding of what it means.
Anyone any comments?

2 comments:

  1. I just read this fabulous book that maybe you should read before you leave. It's called Muslims, Christians, and Jesus and it was super helpful. You might be able to parts of it, or summaries, online. Or anything else by the author would probably be helpful. Carl Madearis (sp?). Can't recommend it highly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked online briefly and it looks a like a great book. I will find a way to get it here. I have some friends and family coming over in the next month so I am sure they will be able to order it for me there and bring it here.
    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete